Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Incoming Samples 2010 Weeks 4+5


An envelope from Michael (Louisville, Kentucky / USA) arrived with about 40 single forams from the Mississippian and Pennsylvanian: huge Fusulinids (see drawing of parafusulinid), Orbitulinas and Endothyras. See the interesting blog Louisville Fossils. Now I have first Paleozoic forams - what an excitement. Thanks a lot Michael. I will send a package with European forams back for Herb.

Kirstens material from Australia has arrived, several samples from the beaches of Queensland, New South Wales and South Australia - 200-300g in total. In half of a spoon from Woolgoolga - Solitary Islands Marine Park, NSW I found about 100 forams ranging from Textularia, Miliolids, Elphidiums, Planorbulina, Cibicides to Globigerina, Globorotalia - o my God - there are about 200 spoons left, to be analyzed :) Thank you so much Kirsten.

1 comment:

  1. Michael,

    I am glad the fossils arrived safely. It looks like it took 4-5 days for the letter to travel from the United States to Germany. Enjoy the fossils and I hope you can get some good images from them. The Endothyra baileyi is a very famous foraminifera from the state of Indiana.

    Currently, trying to track down Devonian Period Inauris foraminifera found in the Jeffersonville Limestone of Louisville, Kentucky. It looks like a scanning electron microscope will be needed to image those specimens. I will e-mail you the specifics.

    Thanks for introducing me to the world of the foraminifera fossils.

    ReplyDelete